I can't believe that we're two months down already in the menswer department! Darron's October outfit is done, and once again we're happy! This month we brought along a photographic assistant, the resulting photos show Darron in playful dad mode.
Once again this outfit started out with some great Thread Theory basics. A Strathcona Henley in beautiful light weight merino knit.
We wanted to add a contrasting placket for this one and Darron picked out a dark stretch denim. It goes so nicely with the colour and texture of the wool. I had a go at using the denimfor the neckband as well but even though it had quite a bit of stretch, it didn't have quite enough give to go onto the the super stretchy wool body. I was concerned that the neck would be to wide with the wool neckband but it seems to be just about right for wearing over a collared shirt, so it works.
This month's Jedediah pants are in a chocolate brown drill. Lighter weight than September, and in the smaller size, they are a slimmer fit and great as the weather is warming up.
The pockets are plain in these Jeds, and I used leftover fabric from the shirt to bind all the seam allowances. I love the finish inside these, the binding is so neat, and with the flate felled seams as well there are no exposed edges, fancy!
Darron wanted this shirt to be casual. He was after something a step up from his standard tees that was still light, comfortable and wearable. He chose the fabric too, the man has style and is showing a talent for colour and pattern choice!
I picked up this pattern from the op shop when we first started throwing around the idea of making 12 outfits for Darron. It is Style 3789. It turned out to be exactly what I needed. A basic, slim fitting attern with several collar and pocket options and two sleeve lengths.
The sleeves didn't even need lengthening to fit his looong arms which was great. I made a muslin from an old floral bedsheet to check the fit, and was pleasantly surprised that it didn't need any work. Obviously they were designing shirts for his body shape in the mid 1980s!
I really enjoyed sewing this outfit, I had thought that a mens shirt would be trickier than it was. It helped that the pattern was excellent. Easing the sleeve caps was my biggest concern and they came out neat, and pucker free which was a bid confidence boost as it's something I've struggled with in the past. I'm looking forward to starting his next shirt, and shorts!
My October outfit will be coming up in the not too distant future, I'm knitting sleeves at the moment so we're nearly there!